It’s spring in Texas, and while you’re enjoying the nice weather, remember it won’t be long until the temperatures start going up. The last thing you want is your AC unit to break in the middle of summer.
In Texas, where summer temps can go above 90 degrees Fahrenheit, it’s essential to have a working AC unit. That’s why we recommend having your AC tuned up once or twice a year.
In this guide, we’ll let you know why regular maintenance on your AC unit is necessary and then let you know what AC tune-ups in Texas include. Finally, we’ll let you know what you can expect from our expert AC service professionals.
Is An AC Tune-Up Necessary?
Yes, think of your AC like a car. What happens when you don’t perform routine maintenance on it? It’s likely to break and won’t last as long as. The same goes for your ac unit in Texas. If you skip its annual ac tune-up, it may put you at risk for needed emergency AC repair and void its warranty.
How To Keep Your Air Conditioner Working
While you still need regular tune-ups by licensed professionals, there are several things that you can do to keep your AC working between appointments.
- Replace dirty filters – follow the manufacturer’s instructions on this – some recommend once a month while others once every few months.
- Clear brush and debris – routinely check around your ac unit and remove any plants, brush, or debris.
Do NOT attempt to adjust any AC unit components on your own. These systems are delicate, and tampering with them can be hazardous.
Why Regular Maintenance Is Essential
Whether your ac system is brand new or older, tune-ups are necessary before problems occur and identify them before they become more significant. An air conditioning outage isn’t only inconvenient; it can also be unsafe. Worn wires can catch on fire leading to a house fire, plus not having your unit serviced can lead to mold growth and allergen formation.
AC Tune-ups extend your AC system’s life by several years and lower your energy consumption. Tune-ups prevent future breakdowns of your ac unit. AC Tune-ups will ensure your family stays cool in Texas. When your AC is working its best, it removes allergens such as dust, pollen, and mildew, improving your home’s air quality. The EPA recommends that homeowners in Texas have their home AC unit tuned up to save energy and keep the indoor air quality clean.
What Is An AC Tune-up?
An AC tune-up is where all functional components of the system are checked to make sure they are all working correctly, and the system’s efficiency is maintained. You may think maintaining your AC unit is something that you can do easily however this is not the case. To properly maintain your unit and make sure it’s serviced correctly, you need to call one of our experts to perform the air conditioner tune-up.
What Does The AC Tune-Up Include?
Above, we’ve gone over why you need an AC tune-up, especially if you live in Texas, what one is, and now we’re going to explain what it includes.
- Clean and check thermostat settings
- Clean and tighten loose connections
- Check and clean the outdoor condenser
- Inspect condenser fan motor and lubricate if necessary
- Check refrigerant charge
- Check the amperage and voltage of the compressor
- Check for leaks
- Monitor air conditioning cycling
- Clean primary and secondary drain lines
- Monitor and adjust blower components
- Check operating pressure
- Check suction line insulation
- Check and replace filters as needed
What To Expect During Your AC Tune-Up
- When we arrive at your home, we’ll ask you if you have any areas of issues or concerns so we can make sure we address them.
- You can expect the air conditioning inspection itself to take 35 minutes to an hour, depending on the location of the equipment and what we find during the inspection.
- While we focus on the outdoor unit, we will ask you where your thermostats are located and other parts of your HVAC system. We then inspect your indoor coil, blower, and operating system.
- During the 13-point tune-up, we’ll complete the checklist, including the overall operating status, the refrigerant charge, making sure the drain line is clear, and checking terminals and wiring.
What To Expect After The Air Conditioning Tune-Up
Once the tune-up is completed, our technician will provide you with paperwork that shows all the work we did and answer any questions you may have. We will then let you know any areas of concern and how to repair them.
Our professional technician will then clean up his work area, removing any packaging and equipment we brought in to ensure your home looks as it did when we arrived. Don’t wait until it’s too late to call us for your tune-up appointment today.